Welcome and welcome back Edison families!
Summer is a time of recharging and self care for most educators, so that we can best serve you in the new school year. At the beginning of the school year, we often reflect on how the Edison school counselors can best meet the needs of parents, students, staff and community.
Throughout the high school experience, school counseling services can be an integral part of a student’s education. Edison school counselors consist of three masters level clinicians who collaboratively provide academic, social, and emotional support. We work diligently to engage students, foster achievement and inspire excellence throughout their high school years.
The high school years are full of growth (physically, academically and emotionally!). Within that growth, we see promise, excitement, frustration, disappointment and hope. It is the time when students begin to question and discover what the future holds for them. At Edison, counselors implement a comprehensive school counseling program and collaborate with school staff, parents and the community to create a safe and respectful learning environment. The Edison High School counselors help students achieve optimal personal growth, acquire positive social skills and values, and realize their full potential to become industrious, contributing members of the world community.
The Goals of the Edison School Counseling Department Are:.
- To assist students with educational, personal, career and goal planning.
- To develop personalized programs based on each student’s strengths and needs.
- To help students understand themselves and others.
- To assist students in identifying and dealing with problems.
- Implementing a Restorative Justice Curriculum in advisory and school wide
- To provide crisis intervention when necessary.
- To coordinate referrals to school and community support services.
- To serve as a resource to students, parents, teachers, and administrators.
Some Reasons to Contact Your Child’s School Counselor Are:
- Academic skills support
- School adjustment issues
- Coping, problem-solving, decision-making concerns
- Organizational, study and test-taking skills
- Peer relationships and conflict resolution problems
- Divorce, separation and family changes
- Experiencing loss, death and grief
- Substance abuse awareness
- Multicultural/diversity awareness
- Community resources, information or referrals
Please call the Edison High School front desk to reach any of the three Edison counselors 503.297.2336.